Voters Guide May 2019: Superior Court judge race
Centre Daily Times
WILKES-BARRE — Luzerne County lawyer David E. Schwager, a partner in the Wilkes-Barre law firm of Chariton, Schwager & Malak, will become president-elect of the Pennsylvania Bar Association at the conclusion of the association’s Annual Meeting, May 17, in Lancaster. He will become the association’s 2020-21 president.
Schwager has a lengthy history of leadership within the organized bar:
• During 2018-19, Schwager served as vice president of the PBA. From 2013 to 2016, Schwager served three one-year terms as PBA treasurer and as chair of the PBA Finance Committee and PBA Investment Committee.
• From 2010 until 2013, Schwager was the PBA zone governor for Bradford, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Monroe, Pike, Sullivan, Susquehanna, Wayne and Wyoming counties.
• He is chair of the PBA Non-Dues Revenue Task Force and is co-vice chair and past chair of the PBA Planning Committee. He is a past chair of the PBA Bylaws Committee, PBA Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, PBA Financing of Real Estate Committee, PBA Real Estate Taxation Committee and the PBA Statutory Law Committee.
• Schwager serves on the Board of Directors of the Pennsylvania Bar Foundation, the charitable affiliate of the PBA. He is a Life Fellow of the foundation.
• Schwager serves as a member of the Board of Directors of the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, the continuing legal education arm of the PBA.
• Schwager is a past chair of the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania. The mission of the Disciplinary Board is to protect the public, maintain the integrity of the legal profession and safeguard the reputation of the courts.
• He served as chair of the Third Circuit Bankruptcy Judge Merit Selection Committee and was a member of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court’s Lawyers’ Assessment Committee and Investment Advisory Board and the Middle District Bankruptcy Court Rules Committee
• He is a past vice chair of the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division’s Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Committee. He is the treasurer of the Middle District (PA) Bankruptcy Bar Association and a past member of the executive committee of the Wilkes-Barre Law and Library Association and is a past president of its Young Lawyers Division.