One-Day Law School for Journalists™
Our One-Day Law School for Journalists™ is an intensive program designed to support journalists and others in the media who face the challenge of reporting on the court system without a law degree.
"I cannot emphasize how helpful this was, and how much it will inform my reporting. I am so grateful for these resources." - 2019 Pittsburgh Participant
2021 One-Day Law School for Journalists
Click Here to watch a recording of the 2021 One-Day Law School for Journalists.
- Afternoon Host/News Anchor, WHYY
- Former Community Affairs Reporter, KYW Newsradio
- Creator & Former Host & Executive Producer, Flashpoint with Cherri Gregg
- Past President, Philadelphia Association of Black Journalists
Grand Jury Process
- Jennifer Buck | PA Senior Deputy Attorney General, Supervisor of Grand Jury Unit
- Eli Segal | Partner, Troutman Pepper Hamilton Sanders LLP
- Michael Schwartz | Partner, Troutman Pepper Hamilton Sanders LLP, Former Assistant U.S. Attorney
Right to Know Act & Transparency
- Nathan Byerly | Deputy Executive Director, Office of Open Records
- Michael Joyce | Partner, Saul Ewing Arnstein & Lehr LLP
- Melissa Melewsky | Media Law Counsel, Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association
Hot Topics Affecting the Press: From Subpoenas to SLAPPs
- Kaitlin Gurney | Partner, Ballard Spahr LLP (Moderator)
- Paula Knudsen Burke | Staff Attorney, Local Legal Initiative and Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press
- Holly Lubart | Vice President, Government Affairs, Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association
- Max Mishkin | Associate, Ballard Spahr LLP
- Al-Amyn Sumar | Counsel, The New York Times
This program was sponsored by the The Lenfest Institute for Journalism.